Zobel Hotel at a glance
- Popular hotel amenities: restaurant, terrace, bar, spa, airport transfer service.
- Room amenities: en suite bathrooms, Wi-Fi access, flat-screen TVs, desks, coffee/tea stations and safes.
- Location: Just outside central Gondar.
- Room types: singles, twins, doubles and suites.
- Our verdict: this hotel has nicely-decorated rooms and good facilities. It is set a bit outside the centre of town, but this means you get good views and quieter nights.
The main attractions in Gonder are just a short 10-minute drive from Zobel Resort. Fasil Ghebbi, a spectacular fortress complex built by the Emperor Fasilides in the 16th-century is one of the most remarkable sites in the town.
Other popular attractions include Debre Berhan Selassie Church - filled with colourful and intricate frescoes - and Empress Mentewab’s Kuskuam Complex, the ruins of an 18th-century palace.
There are also great hiking and birdwatching spots in the hills surrounding Gonder. The Simien Mountains National Park, Ethiopia's most popular wildlife and trekking destination, is 2.5 hours away by road.
Zobel Resort has rooms ranging from standard single, double, and twin rooms to suites basting elegant decor, with soft velour furnishings and plush carpeting.
All rooms have en suite bathrooms, Wi-Fi access, flat screen TVs, desks, coffee/tea stations and safes. Many of the rooms have very good views thanks to the hotel’s hilltop location.
The hotel’s restaurant serves both Ethiopian and international cuisine with à la carte and buffet options. There is a spacious terrace with excellent views. Breakfast, which is included in the room price, is served on the terrace. The hotel’s bar prides itself on its good selection of wines and cocktails.
Other amenities include a spa, currency exchange, meeting rooms, room service, quiet areas and airport transfers. The property is wheelchair accessible.
Stay at Zobel on these trips
Fusing history, culture, landscapes and wildlife along a perfectly paced circuit, this trip is a synthesis of the very best experiences on offer in Ethiopia’s northern highlands. Explorations of the ancient cities Axum, Gondar, Bahir Dar and Lalibela are broken…