Sabean Hotel at a glance
- Popular hotel amenities: restaurant, bar, lounge, pastry shop, spa, airport transfer.
- Room amenities: en suite bathrooms, satellite TVs, desks, closets, seating areas, fans, balconies (in some rooms), room service.
- Location: main street of Axum.
- Room types: twins, doubles and suites.
- Our verdict: one of the better options in town, but like all hotels in Axum, it suffers from maintenance issues and won't leave much of an impression.
Sabean Hotel has 44 rooms in total, with 4 suites, 28 single rooms and 12 double rooms. The rooms are fitted with wooden floors and all have decent en suite bathrooms (no bathtub), satellite TVs, desks, closets, a seating area and fans (no air conditioning).
Some rooms also have balconies. Wi-Fi is only available in the reception area. The rooms are decorated in the typical local style. Room service is available.
The walls at the hotel are a bit thin, so the TV in the reception area that is on much of the time can be heard from the ground-floor rooms. Likewise, rooms at the back of the hotel may be preferable as they receive less noise from the street.
Sabean is the best accommodation option in Axum, but that's not saying much.
There is a restaurant at the hotel, which serves local and international dishes and has both indoor and outdoor seating areas. Breakfast is included in the room price and consists of a mix of Ethiopian dishes with eggs and cereal, but is unlikely to impress many.
There is a good bar area, as well as a large lounge with plenty of comfortable seating. The service at the hotel is generally quite good, with friendly and helpful staff.
There is a pastry shop in the lobby for those wanting to pick up a quick sugary snack. The hotel has a steam room and sauna and offers spa treatments. There is also an ATM, free private parking, currency exchange and an airport transfer service.
Visit Axum on these trips
Fusing history, culture, landscapes and wildlife along a perfectly paced circuit, this trip is a synthesis of the very best experiences on offer in Ethiopia’s northern highlands. Explorations of the ancient cities Axum, Gondar, Bahir Dar and Lalibela are broken…