Mezena Lodge at a glance
- Popular hotel amenities: restaurant, bar, terrace, garden, lounge areas, pool, spa, tour and airport shuttle services.
- Room amenities: balconies, seating areas, flat-screen TVs, WiFi access, private bathrooms.
- Location: Just outside of Lalibela.
- Room types: bungalows.
- Our verdict: a modern eco-lodge with good views and amenities. It's a bit of a walk to central Lalibela and the churches, but you can always get a tuk-tuk!
Why we like this
- Mezena Lodge has some of the more spacious rooms available in Lalibela.
- Lalibela is a noisy town and Mezena offers the chance to get away from the hustle and bustle of the centre.
- The peace and quiet is made that much better by the extraordinary views on offer from the rooms and adjoining verandas.
- The lodge is committed to environmental and economic sustainability of the region, all staff are hired from Lalibela and the lodge supports environmental safe-guarding initiatives.
Thirty cosy, stone and thatched-roof bungalows are dotted around the lush confines of the lodge.
The bungalows combine minimalist decor with traditional Ethiopian design and come complete with balconies that have excellent views over the hills of Lalibela.
The rooms have their own seating areas, flat-screen TVs with cable channels, Wi-Fi access and private bathrooms that have both a shower and a bath.
Those with mobility issues should request a room nearer to the lobby, as there are quite a few steps between the lobby and bungalows further out.
A range of international and Ethiopian dishes are served at the hotel’s restaurant throughout the day. Buffet or continental breakfast is also served here every morning from 7:30am to 9:30am.
There is a bar, terrace, garden and lounge areas where you can enjoy a drink or relax, and a barbecue and fridge in the lodge’s common area.
There is a good swimming pool, as well as a spa and wellness centre. Private parking and airport transfers are available, and the property is wheelchair accessible.
Stay at Mezena Lodge on these trips
Explore the Simien Mountains from a luxury lodge perched high in the escarpment, discover the architectural remains of ancient civilisations, and watch the sun set over the sandstone cliffs of Tigray. The Historic North Circuit is a flagship itinerary in…
- 12 Days
Fusing history, culture, landscapes and wildlife along a perfectly paced circuit, this trip is a synthesis of the very best experiences on offer in Ethiopia’s northern highlands. Explorations of the ancient cities Axum, Gondar, Bahir Dar and Lalibela are broken…
- 12 Days
This trip packs in a myriad of history, culture and some of the best scenery in Africa. Explore the palaces of Gondar, the world-famous rock-hewn churches in Lalibela, and the sweeping plateaus of the Simien Mountains. Leave enough time either…
- 7 Days
Ready to plan your Ethiopia adventure?
We'll spend some time listening to your aspirations, then discuss the kind of experience that might suit you.
Next we'll discuss the options, shortlist the best trips for you and present you our impartial recommendations.
We'll place a 24 hour hold on your preferred option - without obligation - whilst we talk through the details.