Hudad Lodge at a glance
- Popular hotel amenities: restaurant (with barbecues), garden, outdoor dining area, tour service.
- Room amenities: private bathroom (no running water), warm blankets, beds.
- Location: highlands outside of Lalibela.
- Room types: tukuls accommodating up to 3 or 4 guests.
- Our verdict: this is an adventurous option, which those who are looking for closeness to nature and an authentic experience - and who are happy going without modern luxuries - will find rewarding.
Hudad Lodge is often combined with community trekking in Lalibela. Most travellers will spend a day or two exploring central Lalibela and the rock-hewn churches in the region, before heading up into the mountains for a couple of nights at Hudad or a community trek.
For more options, visit our accommodation in Lalibela page.
The lodge’s four tukuls, which each house four guests, are designed in the traditional local style with mud, stone and thatched roofs, providing very simple yet cosy and perfectly comfortable places to sleep at night. They have beds and dry compost toilets in a separate hut, and hot water can be provided in buckets by the staff, as the tukuls do not have their own running water or electricity. Warm blankets are supplied, as the highlands can get very cold at night.
The restaurant at the lodge serves meals throughout the day, made from fresh ingredients that are grown locally. The restaurant has excellent views of the surrounding area, and there is also the option to enjoy barbecues. The lodge can arrange guided tours of local nature spots, villages and churches: most of these guides are experienced and good at their job. Understandably given its rustic nature and remote location, the lodge does not offer many other amenities.
Ready to explore Lalibela?
Fusing history, culture, landscapes and wildlife along a perfectly paced circuit, this trip is a synthesis of the very best experiences on offer in Ethiopia’s northern highlands. Explorations of the ancient cities Axum, Gondar, Bahir Dar and Lalibela are broken…
Book your Lalibela adventure
For more information on trips, prices, and departures - visit our dedicate Lalibela Tours page.