Gondar Hills Resort at a glance
- Popular hotel amenities: restaurant, outdoor terrace, cafe, pool, garden, spa, airport transfers.
- Room amenities: WiFi, laundry service, flat-screen TVs, desks, en-suite bathrooms, balconies.
- Location: Just outside of Gondar.
- Room types: single, double, twin and family suites.
- Our verdict: Gondar Hills Resort has amazing views, is well-designed and has all the essential amenities, as well as some luxuries like a pool, garden, and spa. It is a bit further out of town, but that comes with the benefit of great views and quieter nights.
The resort is comprised of 33 stone cottages, with single, double, twin and family suites on offer. Inside the cottages, the rooms have wicker furniture, flat-screen TVs, desks, en-suite bathrooms with walk-in showers and walls adorned with Ethiopian art.
The cottages have a patio veranda and all have great views over Gondar and the surrounding, mountainous countryside. The family cottages are two stories, and have both a double and a twin room. The rooms have WiFi access, although as is often the case in Ethiopia, the connection can be slow and intermittent.
There is a good restaurant at the resort, with both indoor and outdoor dining areas. The outdoor terrace has excellent views, and the restaurant serves both classic Ethiopian dishes and creative international dishes (try the Thai beef salad!). A continental or buffet breakfast is served here in the morning (included in the room price).
There is a café which serves coffee and a range of cakes and other treats, as well as a lovely pool which also has spectacular views of the surrounding area, sunbeds and its own pool bar. There is a lush garden at the resort, which has over 70 different species of plants.
The property also has a meeting room, laundry services and a spa, and is wheelchair accessible. Airport transfers are offered.
Popular Trips Including Gondar
Fusing history, culture, landscapes and wildlife along a perfectly paced circuit, this trip is a synthesis of the very best experiences on offer in Ethiopia’s northern highlands. Explorations of the ancient cities Axum, Gondar, Bahir Dar and Lalibela are broken…