There are 13 rooms in total, with single, double and twin rooms on offer at Fasil Lodge, all of which have en-suite bathrooms and (limited) hot water. The rooms on the ground level are sometimes a bit dark, but overall the standard of cleanliness is satisfactory and the water functions well. If you want good views of the hills around Gondar from your room, then you may want to request a room on the top floor.
There is WiFi, although it is often unreliable, and a laundry service. There is a restaurant with a pleasant garden seating area and an indoor dining room that serves quite good food, with a mix of typical Ethiopian dishes and Western classics such as pizza and sandwiches. A breakfast of juice, toast and coffee (among other things) is included in the price of the room.
There is also a bar that stocks a decent range of beers, spirits and wine, as well as a communal lounge and a traditional coffee ceremony area, which makes for a nice addition to the hotel. There is an airport transfer service, but the hotel is unfortunately not wheelchair accessible.
Fasil Lodge at a glance
- Popular hotel amenities: restaurant with outdoor terrace, garden, bar, shared lounge, coffee ceremony area, airport transfer service.
- Room amenities: private bathrooms, (limited) hot water, WiFi.
- Location: central Gordar.
- Room types: single, double and twin rooms.
- Our verdict: one of the better of the limited hotel options of Gordar, with a good location and an adequate standard of comfort and cleanliness, but potentially subpar service and a rather tired-looking decor.