Day 1 Drive (2.5 hrs) Gondar- Michibiny (3200 m), hike to Sankaber (3250 m).
From Gondar, we drive to Michibiny with a brief stop at the Simien Mountains National Park headquarters to arrange the permit. We start the trekking easy with a 2-3 hours hike to Sankaber, a good way to acclimatize and get used to the altitude. Overnight camping.
Day 2 Hike Sankaber to Gich (3600 m).
Today's trek covers a distance of approximately 12 km and takes around 5-6 hours. The hike goes through highland grasslands, heather forests, cultivated fields and follows a spectacular escarpment with dramatic views.
We will encounter the friendly Gelada baboons, foraging in big groups. A stunning viewpoint at the Jinbar Falls is reached after clambering a few rocks. This waterfall plunges several hundred meters down the escarpment down into the abyss.
At the end of the day we pass through the welcoming village of Gich where the local people are happy to prepare a well-deserved coffee. The coffee ceremony is an important social event in Ethiopian culture. The camp for the night is not far from the village. Overnight camping.
Day 3 Hike Gich to Chennek (3620 m).
This is a long but probably the most spectacular stage of the trekking, offering stunning views all the way.
Today we hike 7-8 hours to cover 12 km, including a short detour to Imet Gogo (3925 m). This summit offers the most exciting views. The giant lobelia is abundant on the Gich plateau. The majestic lammergeyer might soar the skies in front of you and the endemic thick billed raven will be present.
On your way to Chennek you pass some other major peaks (Inataye reaching 4070 meter) and a deep valley. Chennek is the best place to spot the endemic and endangered Walia Ibex. Not seldom they walk into the camp. Overnight camping.
Day 4 Hike Chennek to Ras Bwahit (4430 m). Drive (4 hrs) to Gondar.
The last day in the Simien Mountains takes us up to the Bwahit Pass (4200 m) and if you've got the energy, you can hike all the way to Ras Bwahit, the second highest peak of Ethiopia after Ras Dashen. Total hike is 10 km, 5-6 hrs. Not only will you likely spot the Walia Ibex, you might even spot the endemic, and extremely rare, Ethiopian Wolf. In the late afternoon, we drive back to Gondar.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person based on 2 people travelling together.
Price depends on group size:
2-person group: US$954 per person for the trek starting and ending in Gonder.
3-person group: US$840 per person for the trek starting and ending in Gonder.
4-person group: US$774 per person for the trek starting and ending in Gonder.
- Airport transfers and road transport by private minibus.
- Meal plan full board, including mineral water.
- Full camping equipment including tents, mattresses and sleeping bags. Recommended to bring your own sleeping bag.
- Fees for entrances, local guides and compulsory scouts for activities mentioned in the itinerary.
- All government taxes for the services included in the tour price.
- International flights and visa fees.
- Transport to and from Gonder (we are happy to arrange this, just talk to our team).
- Activities not mentioned or stated as optional in the itinerary.
- Fees for photos and video.
- Other personal expenses, souvenirs, tips and gratuities, etc.