Day 1 Drive (3 hrs) drive Gondar to Sankaber (3250 m). Hike Sankaber to Gich (3600 m).
We drive from Gondar to Sankaber with a brief stop at the Simien Mountains National Park headquarters to arrange the permit. Today's trek covers a distance of approximately 12 km and takes around 5-6 hours. The hike goes through highland grasslands, heather forests, cultivated fields and follows a spectacular escarpment with dramatic views. We will meet the friendly gelada baboons, foraging in big groups. A stunning viewpoint at the Jinbar Falls is reached after clambering a few rocks. This waterfall plunges several hundred meter down the escarpment in the abyss. At the end of the day we pass through the welcoming village of Gich where the local people are happy to prepare a well-deserved coffee. The coffee ceremony is an important social event in Ethiopian culture. The camp for the night is not far from the village. Overnight camping.
Day 2 Hike Gich to Ambaras (3620 m). Drive (3.5 hrs) to Gondar.
Today is the most spectacular stage of the trekking, offering stunning views all the way. We hike 5-6 hours, including a short detour to Imet Gogo (3925 m). This summit offers the most exciting views. The giant lobelia is abundant on the Gich plateau. The majestically lammergeyer might soar the skies in front of you and the endemic thick billed raven will be present. In the afternoon we drive back to Gondar.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person based on 2 people travelling together.
Price depends on group size:
2-person group: US$558 per person for the trek starting and ending in Gonder.
3-person group: US$516 per person for the trek starting and ending in Gonder.
4-person group: US$474 per person for the trek starting and ending in Gonder.
- Airport transfers and road transport by private minibus.
- Meal plan full board, including mineral water.
- Full camping equipment including tents, mattresses and sleeping bags. Recommended to bring your own sleeping bag.
- Fees for entrances, local guides and compulsory scouts for activities mentioned in the itinerary.
- All government taxes for the services included in the tour price.
- International flights and visa fees.
- Transport to and from Gonder (we are happy to arrange this, just talk to our team).
- Activities not mentioned or stated as optional in the itinerary.
- Fees for photos and video.
- Other personal expenses, souvenirs, tips and gratuities, etc.